Skip to main content

Why We're Homeschooling

About 2 years ago, I noticed how my oldest son (then in 1st grade), had some struggles and frustrations with his classroom and the general style of public school. In 2nd grade, it got worse for him. My son just had a really difficult classroom environment, and a teacher that was not necessarily nurturing or loving. I hated the emphasis on homework and really felt like if these little elementary-aged kids got home at 4pm, they should not have to do an hour plus of homework after being in the classroom for 7 hours. When did they get time to explore the backyard, or play, or have fun? When did they get time to just be a KID and not worry about grades that they got on a spelling test or a math worksheet? I also didn't love the things that my child was exposed to at school. Some of that came from other students, and some of it came from the curriculum or the teachers themselves. It was not always wholesome.

I decided to look into homeschool. LUCKILY, I am blessed to be surrounded by several friends and neighbors who homeschool. So, I started talking to all these homeschool families I was acquainted with.

While researching about Homeschooling, one of the parent's I spoke with never had their children in public education. From early on, many of her children were diagnosed with special needs and learning challenges. She was told by evaluators and doctors that they would be required to stay in a self-contained, special ed classroom, and that there wasn't much chance that they should progress or accomplish more than that. This mother recognized her calling to homeschool, and knew that she would fight for her child, and work to prove the school wrong. Fast forward to now, she has amazingly high-functioning young adult and adult children. If you met any one of them on the street, you would never think that they had learning challenges or disabilities, or that they struggled academically. They contribute to society, and are pleasant people, who have accomplished some great things. FAR from the picture that the school district had painted for them.

At this point in my family's life, we have children ages 8, 7, almost 5, 3, and 18 months. I've had two children that have qualified for early intervention programs and special ed services through our school district. My second son spent 2 years in special ed preschool for developmental delays and communication issues. The stigma that goes along with special education is horrible. It can also be shameful for parents to be made to feel like their children don't quite "measure up" or that they don't fit in the "box" that the system has created. That this amazingly unique and individual child didn't exactly match up with this very standardized idea of what administrators, superintendents, and ultimately government officials have deemed to be "normal" or "acceptable".

Right before kindergarten, our second son had progressed and was able to test out of the need for services and his IEP. After his time in special education, though, I was so grateful for the program, and for the very tender and caring teachers that work with those miraculous children. I was grateful that our boy was able to spend time with a range of children who had all sorts of needs and abilities, and who weren't so called "normal". He was able to interact with and appreciate these individual children for WHO they were as a person. He made friends and developed bonds with the other children in his class, and it made him happy. I noticed that he developed greater patience, compassion, and kindness when associating with others. He thrived when off of the cookie-cutter conveyor belt that is the standardized public school system.

I've often thought about how we will probably need to use those services in the future, for our new little boy. But I've also thought about how wonderful it is for children to learn and be taught on an individual level, while utilizing each child's strengths, and addressing his or her needs.

It's a bit ironic, because I received my bachelors in K-12 education. I took the required courses to become certified to teach for the state of Arizona, and I started out my college education with the drive to make a difference in the "system" and in the lives of student. But the more I went along, and the more experience I got through my internships and time in the classroom, seeing the politics and red tape, the less inspired I felt to follow this path.  I never ended up teaching, and instead followed the path of motherhood. I was able to enjoy a different profession, pursuing my talent and love for art as a work-from-home graphic designer and illustrator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Cleaning: All-Natural (Borax-Free) DIY Powdered Laundry Detergent

WHY GREEN CLEANING? After my mom was diagnosed with cancer in December 2015, I took that as a wake-up call for our family to be more aware of the things that come in contact with our bodies. The food we eat, the things we have constant exposure to, and the overall care and awareness we have for our health...this all became more important to me than ever before. My first step was making a shift to green, homemade cleaners. I wanted to know EVERYTHING that was going into the cleaners that helped disinfect and cleanse the surfaces of where we ate, sat, slept or touched, and took special care for things that would specifically go on or into our bodies. I learned so many wonderful things as I started on my "green" mission. It was great to become more self-sufficient, to understand the science behind cleaning, and to realize how unnecessarily commercialized cleaning products had become. I cut out anything from my house that was toxic, and contained health warnings. If t

What is "CREATIVITY"? - Part #1

As of late, I've been thinking about what it means to be creative.  I haven't written on the blog in a LONG time. But I've recently felt the urge to get back into it. Why, though? I'm not sure. But my inkling and reflection tell me it has to do with a three-part equation:  (Re)discovering my creativity.  Allowing the Savior's light and truth to shine through me & my creative works.  Finding a way to earn some extra income while utilizing my passions and creative talents.  I've been feeling a very tangible pull to CREATE. Create art. Create beauty. Create SOMETHING. But what that something is...I haven't exactly put my finger on it quite yet. It's a drive that's deep within me, and has always been there, but has been put on the shelf for many years now as I've been raising my family. Recently, the instinct to create art has resurfaced. So for the past couple weeks I've been on a journey of discovery in order to find that "thing"

Meditating Daily: This Is What I've Learned

IS MEDITATION WOO-WOO? Brett hates the term "MEDITATE" . To him, "meditation " is something the hippies or new-age peeps do. It's strictly woo-woo in his mind.