Skip to main content

The Power of Attitude, and... Have I Done Any Good Today?

My morning starting out in a frustrating fervor as I was racing to get all the kids in the car. My 1st grader has a field trip today, and we got so many emails and notices from the teacher about "make sure to not be late!" that I already had anxiety about the possibility of being late.

Not that I was procrastinating this morning, but it takes a LOT of time to get 5 kids (ages 8 and younger) out of bed, dressed, fed, out the door, in the car, and get to a destination ON TIME that is 15-20 minutes away. We were all in the car, buckled in and ready to go at the last possible minute to still be within our "safe zone" of time where I could comfortably get the kids to school on time, regardless of traffic. So we were okay. Until I turned the key.

The engine was wanting to turn over, but sounded tired and sluggish. I turned the key a couple more times, and our sad engine sounded like it was winding down. I took out the key, and inspected for any lights that may have been left on by the kids. None. I checked for anything that could have been a drain on the battery since yesterday. Nothing was obvious. So as the kids chattered and ate their toast, my frustration grew. I decided to turn the key again...clicking noises. The battery was dead. 

WHAT A HORRIBLE DAY ALREADY!

Ugh. My mind was racing, trying to figure out what I could do to get the boys to their school, and how to get my car working. After a call with my husband, and jiggling the connections to the battery terminals to see if anything was loose, the car still didn't start. I let out a frustrated growl, and tried my hardest to not snap at my husband while I told him goodbye, that I loved him, and I hoped he had a great day at work.

I felt totally stuck in this really annoying situation! If I called AAA, we'd need to wait, and it would be too late to get my 1st grader to his school for the field trip. So...I thought about who in the neighborhood I could bother. It was 8:00 am. I didn't really want to knock on a neighbor's door and ask. So, I posted to our neighborhood Facebook group "Urgent! Can anyone help me jump my car? We need to get to school ASAP for a field trip!"

I don't know why this all put me over the emotional edge, but I started to cry. It's interesting how in high-stress situations, you just feel like an utter loser. I just wanted to be a good, responsible mom, get kids to school on time so they wouldn't have to get tardies or more importantly, miss out on a fun, educational field trip experience. I was frustrated that my car was acting up, and that I was stranded. I was angry that the battery probably died because of something that the kids left on in the car. Or maybe it was even something that I absent-mindedly left on. Maybe I was the idiot who caused this. I was angry at my husband because, if a car's not working, it's his fault, right? He wasn't at home with our other car to help me figure this situation out. The kids were still in the car, getting a little restless. I didn't know what to do with everybody, and I couldn't handle the noise. I was snappy and irritable, and got out of the car by myself to just stare at the battery and wallow. And then, a neighbor pulled up to my house.

Less than 10 minutes after I had reached out for help on Facebook, my neighbor was there with her minivan ready to help me out. Another neighbor called me on the phone moments later and wanted to know how she could help, and I gratefully told her someone had just come to my rescue. We scurried around, tried to figure out what would work best with the three carseats and our time situation. She opted to have her daughter run over (in her PJ's and a jacket) and they both stayed at my messy house with my three girls, while I took their minivan and ran the boys to school. On the way to school, I was able to contact AAA (we have a membership with them), and they were scheduled to come by within 45 minutes to jump the car and provide us with a replacement battery if necessary. I got to school 20 minutes late, but JUST in time for my first grader to get to class, find his field trip buddy, and get with his chaperoned group to get on the bus. After two kisses good-bye, and two hugs, I got back in the car, let out a BIG sigh of relief, and headed home.

Everything was okay again.

I drove home, no longer needing to hold on to feelings of anger and frustration and hopelessness. I was grateful for the car I was driving, and that a caring neighbor was so quick to act, come over to my house, and lend me her vehicle and babysitting services so I could make this morning work. I was grateful for the other neighbor who contacted me on the phone so promptly as well. It reminded me that there is so much good around us and that we are blessed to be associated with each other as human beings. So the bad feelings melted away, and the good feelings filled my heart with gratitude and love. And you know what? It feels SO MUCH BETTER to have good feelings of gratitude and optimism rather than ugly feelings of despair and pessimism. I really had been mentally preparing my day to be the worst day ever. But then caring neighbors and friends reminded me through their examples of love that it did NOT have to be the worst day ever.

I was so relieved to not be alone...and I've taken time this morning to recognized that I never really am alone. I believe that people are good, and God can inspire ALL hearts to reach out to others in love and service. Suddenly, after an unplanned "adventure" of a morning, I'm left with a smile on my face instead of a scowl, and a hopeful heart instead of a hateful one.

I learned two important life lessons from my morning:

1. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING 

2. WE CAN LIFT EACH OTHER'S BURDENS



ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING :

In a an address by a religious leader that I just happened to listen to yesterday, he shared some very powerful words about attitude and circumstances. The words came to mind this morning as I was reflecting on my experiences:

"There may be many things about life that are beyond your control. But in the end, you have the power to choose both your destination and many of your experiences along the way. It is not so much your abilities but your choices that make the difference in life.

You cannot allow circumstances to make you sad. 

You cannot allow them to make you mad. 

You can rejoice that you are a [child] of God. You can find joy and happiness in the grace of God and in the love of Jesus Christ. 

You can be glad. 

I urge you to fill your hearts with gratitude for the abundant and limitless goodness of God." (From the address "Three Sisters" By Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2017)

What true words! Regardless of MY circumstances or abilities, I do NOT need to be a victim. I can be GLAD and grateful and find good in any situation if I train my mind to do it. As part of my morning routine, I often tell myself "Today and everyday, I choose to create the best day of my life." Attitude is a choice, and I can create my day to be whatever I want it to be, through the attitude I apply to my circumstances. (Check out Hal Elrod's "Self-Confidence Affirmations".)



WE CAN LIFT EACH OTHER'S BURDENS

There's a hymn that has been in my head for the last couple of days. It's a song titled "Have I Done Any Good". It was a song written by a composer named Will L. Thompson (1847–1909)  and it is always sort of a power song of mine, that reminds me of the beauty and importance of helping those around us. In 2012, two well-known Christian artists created a music video of this song, and I love to watch it. I'm so grateful for those today who have "lifted my burdens" and did not pass by the opportunity to so something good today. I hope that I can always keep an open heart and mind, so that I can be that set of helping hands when needed.



Song Lyrics:

Have I done any good in the world today? 
Have I helped anyone in need? 
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad? 
If not, I have failed indeed. 
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today Because I was willing to share? 
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way? 
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more 
Than dream of your mansion above. 
Doing good is a pleasure, 
a joy beyond measure, 
A blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now, 
Opportunities right in our way. 
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,” 
But go and do something today. 
’Tis noble of man to work and to give; 
Love’s labor has merit alone. 
Only he who does something helps others to live. 
To God each good work will be known.
Then wake up and do something more 
Than dream of your mansion above. 
Doing good is a pleasure, 
a joy beyond measure, 
A blessing of duty and love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Cleaning: All-Natural (Borax-Free) DIY Powdered Laundry Detergent

WHY GREEN CLEANING? After my mom was diagnosed with cancer in December 2015, I took that as a wake-up call for our family to be more aware of the things that come in contact with our bodies. The food we eat, the things we have constant exposure to, and the overall care and awareness we have for our health...this all became more important to me than ever before. My first step was making a shift to green, homemade cleaners. I wanted to know EVERYTHING that was going into the cleaners that helped disinfect and cleanse the surfaces of where we ate, sat, slept or touched, and took special care for things that would specifically go on or into our bodies. I learned so many wonderful things as I started on my "green" mission. It was great to become more self-sufficient, to understand the science behind cleaning, and to realize how unnecessarily commercialized cleaning products had become. I cut out anything from my house that was toxic, and contained health warnings. If t

What is "CREATIVITY"? - Part #1

As of late, I've been thinking about what it means to be creative.  I haven't written on the blog in a LONG time. But I've recently felt the urge to get back into it. Why, though? I'm not sure. But my inkling and reflection tell me it has to do with a three-part equation:  (Re)discovering my creativity.  Allowing the Savior's light and truth to shine through me & my creative works.  Finding a way to earn some extra income while utilizing my passions and creative talents.  I've been feeling a very tangible pull to CREATE. Create art. Create beauty. Create SOMETHING. But what that something is...I haven't exactly put my finger on it quite yet. It's a drive that's deep within me, and has always been there, but has been put on the shelf for many years now as I've been raising my family. Recently, the instinct to create art has resurfaced. So for the past couple weeks I've been on a journey of discovery in order to find that "thing"

Meditating Daily: This Is What I've Learned

IS MEDITATION WOO-WOO? Brett hates the term "MEDITATE" . To him, "meditation " is something the hippies or new-age peeps do. It's strictly woo-woo in his mind.